Fuselage - AFT Section
I finished deburring and dimpling all of the AFT fuselage parts, or so I thought. I was out in the garage later tonight, and realized that I hadn't done any of the bulkheads. So, there's still a few parts to go. However, I did set the first few rivets in the AFT fuselage, when I riveted F-711 to the tailcone.
|That's the right side, deburred and dimpled. Yes, I did remove the plastic covering on the inside of the right side skin. That was before I wimped-out and used the soldering iron on all the other pieces. If I had to do it again, I would have left the plastic on until after riveting. There's a lot of sliding back and forth on the table while deburring, and I think you need the plastic to protect the inside. Like the wing, I am not going to prime the skins. As it turned-out, I really didn't scratch this part, but the plastic makes me feel better.|
|After the deburring and dimpling are done, the plans say to cleco everything back together. However, I think it is easier to rivet F-711 and F-712 to the tailcone, while on the bench. That's when noticed that I had not deburred and dimpled the holes in F-711, so that had to be done before the riveting.|
|When I haven't riveted for awhile, I usually mangle the first part. This only had minor mangling. I had to drill out two rivets, and there's a pretty good dent on the top center rivet. Not too bad for bottom rivets.|
|Rivets on the front flange. Not great, but they will do.|
|Rivets on the back, ditto.|
|That's a start.|