Fuselage - Cabin
I was just about ready to fit the wings to the fuselage, when I found rats in the wings, again. That cost me several months. Then, I was on vacation the last two weekends. Now that vacation is over, and we have the wings (almost) sealed against the rats, it's time to get back to work. Before I can fit the wings, I need some 7/16" bolts--I don't want to mess-up the bolts that came with the kit (those suckers cost $11 each).
I went looking for 7/16" bolts during my XMAS break, but I had a hard time finding them. It seems that none of the usual hardware stores, like Home Depot, Lowe's, or McCoys, carry them. So, I thought I would buy some 1/2" bolts and cut them down with the Smithy. Then, I decided, why not just buy some 1/2" threaded rod. It's cheaper, and I could cut the pieces as long as I like. Besides, I figured it would be hard to hold a bolt just by the head in the Smithy. Things did not go quite as well as I would have liked.
As usual, this is not building, so no time logged. Besides, it's embarrassing the amount of time that I spent on this today, and the results. At least, I am back working on the airplane.
|Here's the expensive bolt that I want to replace using the cheap-assed threaded rod. Note, I did manage to pick up some of the 1/4" bolts for the wing.|
| I cut off a piece of threaded rod equal to two bolt lengths. This way, I could cut down one end while the other end was held by the Smithy. Now, taking a piece of rod and making it thinner on the Smithy is about as simple a task as you can do, but I still managed to screw it up. When turning a piece of rod, with one end unsupported, the unsupported end bends a little while it is being cut. The unsupported end ends up a little thicker than the supported end. By the time I got the end of the bolt thin enough to fit into the wing, the end near the head was way too thin.|
As you can see, the top piece is ruined, but the bottom piece is good enough. Also, I was using my dial caliper, so I got out the digital caliper for the second piece. That helped a little, but this should be doable with a dial caliper. Maybe the next two bolts will go a little better.
|Well, not so good. Two cuts, and the bolt is already too thin. I guess I was a little too aggressive. I must have made a dozen passes on the first bolts. The other side came out pretty good, though.|
|There you have it. One close-tolerance bolt, two close-enough bolts, and two pieces of junk. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to use that Smithy. Looks like I need to just order some regular bolts. I checked Van's webstore, and believe it or not, he does not carry these 7/16" bolts in the regular AN hardware. These need to be AN7-36, and the closest thing that Van has is AN7-43, for $5 a piece. Fortunately, McMaster-Carr has some 3 1/2" x 7/16" bolts, 25 for $10. This should not be that hard.|